Do you think that nursing is nothing but a drag? Well, think again, because you couldn’t be more wrong. Nursing, with all its challenges and complexities, has its perks and benefits. And I am here to reveal to you what those are.
Some of you are at crossroads, wondering if indeed they should take the plunge. Perhaps someone told you how ‘little’ nursing pays and how complicated and terrifying it can be should things go wrong. You may have come across nurses from hell- you know what I’m talking about *wink *wink. Well, they did not lie to you, but if my experiences are anything to go by, those nurses without the empathy fibre in their body are not in the majority. There is always that one rotten apple wherever you go, and I am here to tell you that nursing is all that and more, much more!
I will not dwell on the monetary issues, short or long term, because that is not what nursing is all about. So please sit back and be ready to be amazed at what I am about to reveal.
1) Nursing is lots of fun! Yes, you heard correctly. I have laughed more in my recovery room than I have anywhere else. Those patients are full of tales. They will have you in stitches, you will beg them to stop, and you know what they say- Laughter is the best medicine!
2) There will be tears in the face of human suffering, and even the most hardened human beings will soften at some point. Nursing can ‘transform’ you if you catch my drift!
3) Nursing enables you to be cool, calm and collected in a medical emergency. With time, you gain confidence and competence, and you will know just what to do in an emergency. Even if outcomes are not always favourable in every situation, what matters is you would’ve done right by those under your care.
4) Think of the exercise as you pace up and down the hospital corridors. Need I say more?
5) Wherever you go in the world, there will always be a job for you. Someone will still revere you as a nurse, for it is a noble and one of the most prestigious professions!